Ernest’s name is on the Memorial.
Ernest John Walthew: 46th Divisional Signals Company, The Royal Engineers provided communications for 46th (North Midland) Division. The North Midland Division was a formation of the Territorial Force and was mobilised for war service on the 5th of August 1914. The Division concentrated in the Luton area by mid August. They proceeded to France, landing at Boulogne in late February being first complete Territorial Division to arrive in a theatre of war when they joined the BEF in the Ypres salient. On the 12th of May the Division was retitled 46th (North Midland) Division. They were in action during The German liquid fire attack at Hooge and The attack at the Hohenzollern Redoubt in October. On the 23rd of December the were ordered to proceed to Egypt via Marseilles leaving the DAC, Divisional Train and the Mobile Veterinary Section behind. All units had arrived by the 13th of January 1916 but they spent just a few days in Egypt, being ordered to return to France where the units left behind rejoined. On the 1st of July 1916 they took part in The diversionary attack at Gommecourt. In 1917 they were in action during the Operations on the Ancre, Occupation of the Gommecourt defences, The attack on Rettemoy Graben, The German retreat to the Hindenburg Line, The attack on Lievin and The Battle of Hill 70. In 1918 they saw action in The Battle of the St Quentin canal, including the passage of the canal at Bellenglise, The Battle of the Beaurevoir Line, The Battle of Cambrai, The Battle of the Selle and The Battle of Sambre. – See more at: http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/royalengineers46divsigcoy-gw.php#sthash.QJ8xkRIT.dpuf
Born: 1876 Heaton Norris Stockport. Vol 8a Page 32 A/M/J Qtr.
1881 Census: Living at Didsbury Road, Heaton Norris aged 5yrs.
1901 married Maud Clegg daughter of Sir William Clegg
1901 Census: Living at Heath House, Stockport Road, Cheadle with wife & 2 Servants aged 25yrs.
Occupation: Cotton Spinner & Doubler employer of people.
1911 Census: Living at Green Moor, Fairfield aged 35yrs now retired.
1914: Volunteered for the Royal Engineers Territorial Forces.
1918: Died whilst making a reconnaissance.
1919: Probate left £ 27.486.5s.9d to widow Maud.
Report of death in Buxton Advertiser.
It is with deep regret we announce the sad news that Lieut-Colonel E J Walthew, Royal Engineers, who was attached to the Sherwood Foresters, has fallen at the front. It was in May 1915, that Lieutenant Walthew who it will be remembered married Miss Maud Clegg, daughter of Sir William Clegg, of Sheffield, left that city with the local engineers. In the succeeding month he was preferred to the rank of temporary Captain, and in 1917 was raised to the rank of Major. Then in January of this year (1918) he, for bravery on the battlefield, was awarded the Military Cross and later promoted to a lieutenant Colonel. It is only lately that Colonel Walthew received an appointment to Divisional Headquarters and it was while discharging his duties there that he met with an instantaneous death. With his widow and two daughters great sympathy is expressed in the very sad bereavement they have been called upon to bear. The deceased officer was well known in Buxton, where he resided for some years, and made lots of friends. He was a man of most affable disposition, cheery and optimistic, and took a great interest in local affairs. In April 1910, he was elected a member of the then Buxton Urban District Council, and continued in that capacity until 1914. Colonel Walthew was then member for east ward. Deceased performed most useful work on the Finance, gas and Water, Sanitary (of which he was chairman in 1912-13). Baths and Pump Room, Advertising and Free Library Committee. He likewise held high office in the Buxton Lodge of Freemasons (1688), a prominent member of the Conservative party, he was a real worker in the cause. It can with safety be said that his untiring efforts were due much of the extensive progress made in this division. Amongst the numerous other public offices so ably filled by the late Colonel was that of the membership of the committee of management of the Devonshire Hospital, and he was also connected with the Union Club. A sportstman Colonel Walthew held an enviable reputation. he was a keen follower of the High Peak Hunt, and also discharged the duties of secretary to the Hunt Steeplechases, his horse ‘Wiseman’ will be remembered by sportstmen as the winner of the Point-to-point Steeplechase in 1912 and in 1913 the success was reported. The owner of the winner of this event held the Hunt Challenge Cup for one year succeeding each success. He also presented the Walthew Sheild for competition between the Buxton and Fairfield Constitutional Clubs. Afterwards the deceased left Buxton and went to reside at Churchdale Hall, Ashford. Mrs Walthew became the first commandant of the Bakewell Red Cross Hospital and envinced the greatest interest in the good work. This she continued until removal to Devonshire where she and her daughters now reside. To say that Colonel Walthew will be greatly missed is to largely understate the facts, he leaves a vacant place in our social life which with only the greatest difficulty will be filled.